Not just another WI-FI gatewaySource: Pitufa.at
What is a Pitufino?
Apart from being a Wi-Fi gateway for navigation data, Pitufino is an NMEA router, multiplexer, translator and converter. It has been designed to let navigation devices from different generations, old and new, talk to each other and, of course, to your portable devices such as smart phones, tablet and laptop computers. Pitufino’s versatile configuration options allow even devices that are not quite in full compliance with the standards or that use deprecated or proprietary messages to become connected.
Why would you like to get a Pitufino?
- Because you are searching for a nav data Wi-Fi gateway to feed your GPS position, AIS and instrument data to navigation and chart-plotter apps on your mobile devices,
- Because you like Pitufino’s web browser-run sailing instruments (no app required) that include a remote control for your autopilot,
- Because you have NMEA0183 as well as NMEA2000 devices aboard and require one or more converters to make them talk to each other,
- Because some of your nav devices don’t properly communicate with each other (or with your apps),
- Because you are not happy with your current gateway or your current converter that lacks configuration and filter options,
- Because on some occasions you wish to only run a subset of your navigational instruments without powering up the whole (energy-greedy) system.
- NMEA2000 port
- 2 NMEA0183 inputs
- 2 NMEA0183 outputs
- Autopilote remote function
- Anchor-watch on webinterface
- Wi-Fi: provides own access point (with DHCP) or connects to existing one
- mDNS: gateway can always be found as pitufino.local
- NMEA0183 data server: multiple TCP connections and/or UDP broadcast
- Web server: provides browser-based configuration, firmware update, pages to view navigation data in real time (web instruments and web pilot controller)
- Configuration: elaborate settings for filtering, routing and conversion Built-in World Magnetic Model: up-to-date magnetic variation (and also, your chart plotter no longer needs to be online every time)
- Sentence Translator: Some devices output deprecated or unusual sentences. Pitufino translates them into well-supported ones.